Journalist and artist Shirin Barghi has created a gripping, thought-provoking series of graphics that not only examines racial prejudice in today’s America, but also captures the sense of humanity that often gets lost in news coverage. Titled “Last Words,” the graphics illustrate the last recorded words by Brown and other young black people — Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant and others — who have been killed by police in recent years.
Via But it's better if you do.
this morning, police raided Greater St. Mark school/church in Ferguson, MO (formerly called St. Sebastian’s Parish).
please please please boost this. help these organizers recover the supplies they lost, and share just how fucking far these cops will sink to make the people of Ferguson suffer.
Via WELCOME TO HUGTOWN
The New Jim Crow
1. Ferguson, Missouri has a population of approximately 21,000 people — roughly 67% of those residents are Black
2. The Ferguson police department has around 53 commisioned officers —3 of them are Black
3. Ferguson had *zero* homicides for all of 2014 —until Michael Brown was murdered by Darrin Wilson
4. Things you should know: Five Myths About Black-on-Black Crime
5. Michael Brown was 18yrs old and was about to begin college. Brown had no criminal record, and despite the Ferguson PD’s smear campaign, Mike Brown PAID FOR the cigars —those facts are all important and should be known, but even if Brown was a high school dropout with prior arrests who stole the cigars, 1) it wouldn’t have made his life any less valuable, 2) we have a court system and those are not capital offenses and 3) it doesn’t change the fact that the cop who killed him, Darren Wilson, had no idea about Brown’s personal history when he executed Brown. Wilson saw only a Black teen deemed either “too uppity” or “suspicious” because of his skin color
6. Five examples: The Militarization of the police
7. It’s deeply Institutional: Police view Black Children As Less Innocent
8. This is Not the first time Ferguson’s police have been heavy handed with it’s Black residents - Innocent Black man beaten by cops, then charged with bleeding on police officer’s uniforms
9. So please - don’t get it twisted
Daniel & Henrik’s tiebreaker ends in a tie (+)
Via segs is gross tbh
meanwhile the police fill the block with tear gas. who’s protecting and serving here
Hedy Epstein, a 90-year-old Holocaust survivor was arrested on Monday during unrest in Ferguson Epstein, who aided Allied forces in the Nuremberg trials, was placed under arrest “for failing to disperse.” 8 others were also arrested.
"I’ve been doing this since I was a teenager. I didn’t think I would have to do it when I was ninety," Epstein told The Nation during her arrest. “We need to stand up today so that people won’t have to do this when they’re ninety.” Epstein is currently an activist and a vocal supporter of the Free Gaza Movement.
May 16,1984 - August 15, 2011Even heroes have the right to bleed
10 Photos from Ferguson that won’t make it to the mainstream media.
A community in unity.These photos are via Twitter from a Journalist named Ryan Schuessler (@RyanSchuessler1) who unlike some journalists/reporters, chooses to focus on the activities truly going on right now. He’s not focusing on how much of a “hell-hole” some of them are reporting it to supposedly be. But a community of people who are just seeking Justice For Michael Brown. If you can look at these photos and still buy into the mainsteam media’s game, or feel sorry for the police here in the slightest bit - you’re not paying attention.
The anger and actions of the people in Ferguson are justified. They’re citizens who are outraged by the corruption of the justice system and by the fact these police forces are allowed to gas them and shoot into crowds of innocent civilians, whenever they’re rallying in a peaceful protest that the media refuses to expose. They’ll try to turn it around on these people as often as possible.
For those of us who are, and have been paying attention to what’s going on - to the people of Ferguson, hat’s off to you for standing up. Know there are people who know the truth and aren’t listening to what news sources like CNN, FoxNews and NBC are distorting the information into.
DO NOT FALL INTO THE ILLUSIONS AND DISTORTIONS OF THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA ABOUT THE EVENTS IN FERGUSON. DO NOT FALL PREY TO THEIR GAME.
THESE PEOPLE ARE STANDING AGAINST A CORRUPT POLICE FORCE THAT GOT CAUGHT UP IN THEIR OWN LIES. DO NOT JUST FALL INTO THE STORIES OF TEAR GAS, RUBBER BULLETS, RIOTS, and LOOTERS. THERE ARE EVENTS GOING ON FROM PEACEFUL PROTESTERS WHO ARE STANDING FOR JUSTICE.
@RyanSchuessler1 - Twitter
Via WELCOME TO HUGTOWN